Archive for oracle

Localization of strings through Java in UCM

(Credit for this one goes to a colleague of mine, who found this for me when I complained that ye olde way of localizing strings didn’t work anymore.)

Back in UCM 10g, many used the LocaleUtils.encodeMessage(…) method to display strings in a localized way when using Java, e.g.:

LocaleUtils.encodeMessage("wwMyStringKey", null)
LocaleUtils.encodeMessage("wwMyOtherStringKey", null, "some_param")

In UCM 11g, this no longer works. There’s no error message or anything like that, but the string just isn’t localized. Instead, the key of the string is displayed. An alternate way of doing this (which actually also works in 10g) is the LocaleResources.getString(…) method.

Here’s an example of arguments that could be passed to the method:

LocaleResources.getString(String "ID_of_my_string", ExecutionContext m_service)

There’s different variations that can be used to pass the parameters of the string, as you can see in the screenshot below.

LocaleResources.getString(...) screenshot

LocaleResources.getString(...) screenshot

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

ifClause for CoreMenuItems in UCM 11g

I plan on blogging a bit about UCM 11g, as I gain more experience with 11g.

One useful but seemingly not yet documented feature I discovered today, was that it’s  possible to specify an ifClause for menuitems. Flags can be used to specify some conditions, but this is a bit limited.

With an ifClause, however, you can type any Idoc expression you want. Read the rest of this entry »

Leave a Comment

tora with oracle on debian/ubuntu — prebuilt package

I’ve received much more requests for the prebuilt package than I originally thought — apparently this problem affects many people. As such, I’ve put the .deb package online: you can get it here.

Read the rest of this entry »

Comments (24)

tora with oracle on debian

Update: I’ve posted a new blog entry which contains the prebuilt package I mentioned.

Doing this is a mess. Oracle is non-free (as in freedom, not as in beer) so it can’t be included decently into Debian. It took me a few weeks to do is (not non-stop, of course, but I had to try it a couple of times). It’s a very a frustrating process — at least it was in my experience.

Read the rest of this entry »

Comments (9)